nikclayton wrote:

> b) Avoid overloading lower-end phones. Fetching more images means you
> have to have more images in memory on the device at once, and if your
> album artwork is large this can easily exhaust lower-end Android devices
> of memory. I'm aware that image requests can ask the server to resize
> the image, but this can slow image fetches down even more. In my tests
> it was faster to have Squeezer ask the server for a 1024x1024 album
> artwork image and scale it down on the phone than it was to ask my
> Squeezeserver (running on a QNAP 409) to scale the image first.  And
> trying to send too many of these resize-the-image requests to the server
> resulted in my server consuming too much CPU and never recovering (to
> the point where I had to restart the NAS).

Some more points from me (in addition to pippin's and Michael's)
- Scaling both up/down on the server and down on the phone as you
describe it seems to be a strange strategy wrt performance.
Additionally, the server will cache the 1024x1024 images, resulting in
an huge increase in DB size. It also results in a loss of image
quality.
- I agree it's difficult to accommodate for different users' setups
(e.g. one with an old NAS and a octa-core phone vs. one with a powerful
server and a low-end phone)
- Scaling the image on the server will place higher load on the server,
but lower on the network (don't underestimate the performance hit from a
slow WLAN) and the client
- I'd therefore suggest to make this user configurable, which actually
isn't difficult
* Scale on client or server (app requests /cover or /cover_x_x_y)
* enable images pre-caching (if Squeezer uses a not already existing
format - see Michael's comment) (this is just one JSON RPC call)

For a discussion of the image pre-caching, see 'this thread'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98776-Registering-custom-resizing-specificiations-to-be-pre-cached).

> What you should observe (e.g., "Home Screen -> Albums (wait for images
> to load) (press back) -> Albums") is that the images appear faster the
> second time you enter the Albums screen. This is because they've been
> cached to disk, and are now being read locally instead of being fetched
> from the server.

Maybe slightly, but it's barely noticeable.

> You should also observe that images appear almost instantaneously if you
> rotate the device (as the memory cache is retained during the
> rotation).

True, that's why I mentioned exiting the list view.

[ extGUI4LMS - an alternative web interface: 'forum'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98186-Announce-Alternative-Web-Interface-(beta))
/ 'homepage' (http://code.google.com/p/extgui4lms/) ]