I was hosting the binaries on github, and the URL in the repo was
https://

Wow... I'm surprised we didn't hit this before. That's a bug in the plugin manager. It would not accept anything but http://. That's fixed in the next build. Thanks for the heads up!

I tried changing it to http, and started getting 403 errors downloading
from github.

403 is "no permissions". Are you sure you're using a public address?

FWIW: I just installed 0.3.1 successfully. So this seems to be resolved?

I think the plugin is largely in a working state now, would be
interested in anyone else giving it a go to see how they get on. Perhaps
the best way to do that would be a new post announcing its
availability?

Definitely, yes. This thread's subject ends in a question mark. Users tend to ignore this ;-). I usually prepend the subject with a "Announce" or something to make it clear this is not a question.

--

Michael