Hi Slava,

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:06:59PM +0300, Slava Dubrovskiy wrote:

> > OK: accounting for local IP addresses traffic and UA-IX networks
> > is two different things - no traffic matrix required. Hence, i
> > would propose you to change your config as follows:
> >
> > aggregate[hourly]: src_host, dst_host
> > aggregate[hourly_ua]: src_host, dst_host
> > plugins: mysql[hourly], mysql[hourly_ua]
> > sql_table[hourly]: acct_base
> > sql_table[hourly_ua]: acct_base_ua
> > networks_file[hourly]: /etc/pmacct/networks-local.list
> > networks_file[hourly_ua]: /etc/pmacct/networks-ua-ix.list
> >
> > The effect will be that the "hourly_ua" plugin will give you
> > a breakdown of the traffic at the UA-IX, plus you will find a
> > "catch all" entry every hour, ie. ip_src = 0, ip_dst = 0,
> > which is the hourly sum of all the traffic between your local
> > IP addresses and networks besides UA-IX.
> >
> Many thanks for the answer.
> But in that case to a database will get all IP that are specified in
> /etc/pmacct/networks-ua-ix.list. Namely it also is to be avoided.
> And then to me it is not necessary [hourly] since local IP enter UA-IX
>
> But I think it the best variant that it is possible to make.

You would get the IP address granularity for the networks listed,
if that's what you want. Otherwise you might aggregate on network
boundaries (as specified within the networks_file):

aggregate[hourly_ua]: src_net, dst_net

Or even aggregate at the AS level if you put such information into
the list pointed by the networks_file (see the examples for syntax
reference) without resorting to BGP:

aggregate[hourly_ua]: src_as, dst_as

Both these should keep the data volume more manageable. Once again,
if that's what you are trying to achieve. And this would be yet a
further advantage of the networks_file approach in this scenario.

> > I did explain advantages of usin a networks_file rather than an
> > aggregate_filter in this scenario in a previous email (reloadable
> > at runtime and more efficient on long list of IP). Makes sense?
> >
> Yes, but to have the same mechanism for filtering it would be very good.

It might be an idea to make some (not all) configuration statements
reloadable, for example filters. To be investigated.