The priest knew the name, though he couldn't place it. Whatever it was,
he'd have a look when he got home. It was clear to him there was absolutly
nothing he could do here, except perhaps comfort the woman. "Listen, when I
get home, I'll make a few phone calls, see if I can get someone to talk to
me and see what is going on for you. If you need anyone to talk to -" Jack
takes a pen out of his pocket and scribbles his phone number on a bit of
paper "- you give me a call. This is my home number."
Jack finishes his tea, and washes the cup out in the sink. "It has been
nice meeting you, and I am sure the police are doing everything they can.
You stay there, I can find my way out." Jack gives the woman a small hug,
and leaves the woman in the kitchen.
His drive home was a little more subded than the drive in. It seemed things
were not as they appeared to be. He never would have guessed the child was
sick, and the knowledge that her mother possibly struck her chilled him to
the core. As he got into the rectory, he noticed the answer machine light
was flashing. Hitting the play button, Jack listened to the caller he
missed.
Marcy:
Marcy took the priest's number and then walked with him to the door. "Thank
you Father. I really do appreciate you dropping by." She hoped he would be
able to help. She was more than willing to put her faith in God and the
church, since the police had already let her down. She watched him
driving away and closed her eyes leaning her head agains the door frame.