The version checks are done using the pkgname, the path has nothing to do with it other than to lookup the pkgname (and pkgspec if present).

By overriding the existing pkgspec coming from security/OpenSSL/X.Y, you are taking responsibility for it, so you need to replicate+modify the existing spec, there's no means to allow checking against multiple different specs.

--
 Sent from a phone, apologies for poor formatting.