> I agree with you about the relative soullessness of note-for-note
> transcriptions of instrumental solos, but I'm amazed at these guys'
> ability
> to take the fastest, sloppiest, idiosyncratic, etc. solos and
> transcribe
> them down to the last misstruck note, unintentional harmonic, and
> "tasteful" quarter-step bend that was probably intended as a
> half-step. I
> wonder if it just becomes second nature, or if they use technology to
> assist them in some way.

        [Matt Benz]
        Which is exactly why I want to see this done on my "work." I
probably coudn't play the transcriptions: "I did what in measure 5a?" I
too am mystified as to how (or why, in many cases), they do
transcriptions; is this a class taught at Bekerely School of Music?

> Speaking of which, I remember a trick that an old guitar teacher
> showed me
> way back, where you could play (I hope I'm remembering this right) an
> album
> at 17, or whatever that low setting was on old record players, and get
> the
> solo in key, but half as fast and an octave lower.

        [Matt Benz]  That the old 78 speed, isn't it?