"Rewriting history" may be too strong
>a phrase to use under the circumstances, but I think they're very tightly
>controlling their marketing and image right now.

As Charlie Robison (who's engaged to the single one, Emily, I think) told
me last week, the label is consciously trying to erase the band's past.
Check their current wardrobe and hair against the early years.  Nashville
doesn't think that anything remotely hokey (or, "country") can break big
these days.

>(And as others have said, that's fine if that's what the current members
>want, but it's a shame that the contributions of Lynch and Macy are swept
>under in the process and that new fans of the group will miss out on the
>three better albums.)

Would their new fans would enjoy the previous records?  Doubt it.