[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mike writes: Sony went after www.dixiechicks.com a fan operated site for
> the simple fact he
> had clips from the pre Nashville era on site, not entire songs, just 30
> second clips and they didn't want that sound exposed to the public so they
> sent the suits a callin'.
>
> Is this true? Not a big fan of the current Dixie Chicks, they're a little
> too, um, overexposed, IMO. But their previous output is pretty good
> alt.country from the early part of this decade. Are they really trying to
> tell their fans that the earlier configuration of the band didn't exist? or
> is this something the record suits thought up. I can hear the boardroom
> talk now, "we can't let anybody hear these girls when they were a
> hillbilly/swing band. It was real country and we don't do that around
> here." <g>
> Jim, smilin'

I am afraid that I did not bookmark the site but I did see the letter
there and the response.  There were also newspaper articles to document
their desire to erase their history.

This jives with what I was told by their former label.  They will not be
allowed to sell any of the old discs after March.  Never to see the
light of day again.

Bill Lavery
http://villagerecords.com/