Mitch Matthews writes:

>Banana Splits - The Sovines, Jamie Swedberg and I had a big
>conversation on this one Sat. morning after our show.

     I have a semi-bootleg CD that I got through Midnight last year that
has all of the Banana Splits' recorded output (including some material
that wasn't released on their one ABC album).  I've always heard that
Barry White was somehow involved with the group's musical output but have
never been able to find out any particulars.  There are also a bunch of
songs on the disc by the Beagles, which is a cartoon of the '66-period
that I have almost no memory of, though I think it was made by the same
production company that produced "Underdog."
     You also forgot to mention the Impossibles, a Hanna-Barbera
production of the mid-'60s featuring three musicians/superheroes playing
British Invasion-influenced pop music when not fighting evil.

>Speaking of which, probably my favorite TV band of them all (many of
>you know this about me), Lenny and the Squigtones from Laverne &
>Shirley. (BTW, they put out an album, and I would kill to get a copy of
it).

     Don't have it myself, but it's a big favorite with hardcore Spinal
Tap fans since Christopher Guest played guitar on it and it marked the
first appearance of his "Nigel Tufnel" pseudonym.

>The Brady Bunch had that album, remember when Peter's voice changed
>and creative Greg re-wrote a song around it?

     The Brady kids actually put out several albums, for reasons that are
still unclear to me since only two of them could actually sing halfway
decently.  Maureen McCormick released a country album two or three years
back.  It didn't sell, but she looked amazing on the cover; a good ten
years younger than she actually is.

>Odd Couple? Felix wants to get in good with Jaye P. Morgan (who
>happens to be dating Oscar), so he forms a band around his song.

     I have a book at home that's a hilarious collection of celebrity
records; stuff like Bette Davis' repeated attempts to get into musicals
(apparently even worse than you could imagine), a pre-"Batman" Burgess
Meredith's album of cowboy songs, the Odd Couple record, etc.  Some of it
I've heard, though much of it is pretty damn obscure by any measure.
Can't remember the title or authors at the moment.  I can follow up later
if anyone is *really* interested.
     And yes, Shatner is in it.
                                --Jon Johnson
                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]