Of course, no mention of soul is complete without mentioning the work of the
Muscle Shoals studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama where artists such as Dan
Penn, Eddie Hinton and Arthur Alexander to name just a few were combining
the twang with the soul. It was a beautiful, short-lived and successful
hybrid.
See Dan Penn's "Nobody's Fool", "The Best Of Arthur Alexander" (Razor & Tie
UK) and Eddie Hinton, about whom there was a thread some weeks ago.
All great music, worth checking out.
Junior.