Although Stax-Volt and Al Green ultimately rule the roost, as far as
I'm concerned, that early Muscle Shoals stuff is right up there with
it.  Up until Barry Beckett and the other Muscle Shoals session guys
had their falling out with Rick Hall (Fame Studios), that unit could
go head-to-head with the Memphis boys.  Not only the Arthur Alexander
tracks someone mentioned earlier today, but lots of others by Aretha,
Otis, Wilson Pickett, Clarence Carter, etc.

If you ever want to hear some good Muscle Shoals gossip, drop by Fame
the next time you're driving through northern Alabama (assuming you
have occasion to drive through northern Alabama...).  Rick Hall's
wife still works the front desk at the studio, and she can dish
dirt with the best of them!!! <g>.

Neal also mentions:
> Ah yes, another fine example. Although one I'll suggest doesn't quite work as
> well as I'd hope is what I've heard of Jim Lauderdale's work. A wonderful
> voice and the boy's got plenty of twang 'n soul in him. So how come I find it
> all mostly dull?

Sadly (sort of?), I have to agree.  I respect Lauderdale, he's worked
with a lot of great people, etc., but his own stuff just never moves
me.  Oh well.

--junior