"Walker, Jason" wrote:

> Of course, no mention of soul is complete without mentioning the work of the
> Muscle Shoals studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama where artists such as Dan
> Penn, Eddie Hinton and Arthur Alexander to name just a few were combining
> the twang with the soul. It was a beautiful, short-lived and successful
> hybrid.
> See Dan Penn's "Nobody's Fool", "The Best Of Arthur Alexander" (Razor & Tie
> UK) and Eddie Hinton, about whom there was a thread some weeks ago.
> All great music, worth checking out.
> Junior.

Yeah, I produce an artist from France who recorded there and told me
stories. That studio was one of those places out in the middle of
literally noplace, with a train track that ran right by it and
interrupted the takes, and the keyboard was nailed to the wall. funky
southern guys like Duane Allman who could play gravitated to there.
There used to be a lot of those kinds of studios; stax-volt, an old
theatre with the drums nailed to the floor, Robin Hood Bryans in east
texas with egg crates on the walls (John Fred and the Playboy Band).

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records