"Ph. Barnard" wrote:

> Add James Brown to that Southern lineup and that about sums it up for
> me.... <g>,
>
> --junior
>
> npimh:  Otis, "Your Precious Love"

Man, I was just a dumbass little white boy when James Brown came to Ft.
Worth in '67 and me and Alan Schutts went down there to the Will Rogers
Auditorium to see his Review. We were not the only white boys there, but
durn close, and that place was roiling pretty heavily, with big mamas in
the aisles grinding away and James at his peak, his do coming slowly
undone with big spikes of black hair sproinging forward around his
sweaty brow. That damn band just flattened us, who were in our own
little combos trying to play James's songs. (I used to do "I Feel Good"
and it was very, very pasty...) When he went into his collapsing routine
and had to be leopard-caped and led offstage, only to spring back to the
mic and fall to his knees to plead "Please, Please, baby Please..." one
more time, I figured we were all going to die and go to African-American
Heaven. I sure had. I wished I was Black for a long, long time after that.

There is no substitute for a 60s-era soul review. Take my word for it.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records