I 'll jump in to say Sr. Silvers nails this situation--Lauderdale's records
have somewhat varying sounds, but they're more miss than hit than picking
up his strengths as a performer--and he's definitely got those. His live
solos veer towards the  dramatically soulful (in a Memphis sense!)--which
takes the audience by surprise in about the same percentages as the "I
don't et him" comments from the records!  And whether he's with Lucinda
Williams, Buddy Miller or Ralph Stanley (and I've seen him with  all three
in the past year) he does lend great harmong support.  (Plus, he has really
great friends.)  If he comes around with someobody,  playing solo and
dually--which happens--maybe that's the way to take a chance.

Barry