At 5:47 PM -0600  on 2/4/99, Joe Gracey wrote:

>jamie wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Stuart Munro wrote:
>>
>> > As well, aren't there a few alternatives to these two that you TwangCast
>> > boys might consider?  Shockwave, Audioative (both of which Carl
>>Z's station
>> > use, if I'm not mistaken), Streamworks, etc.?
>>
>>  Check out shoutcast (www.shoutcast.com). It's an MP3 streaming server
>> using winamp as the client. And it's free. Very cool.
>>
>> jamie
>
>It doesn't run on a mac yet either, however.
>
>I think it is a little bit unfair to characterize mac users as a tiny
>minority- if you want to be anecdotal about it, literally everybody I
>know in the music business world-wide uses Macs and I daresay the
>majority of creative people in all fields use them. It is also a fact
>that a highly disproportionate number of internet users and web page
>authors use Macs. I firmly feel that it is a grave error to ghettoize
>us, which happens all too often.

Brother Gracey speaks the truth. (Well, as always.) Microsoft's buggy
software isn't Mike's fault, but I'd love to see him try out some of
the software Stuart mentioned. Mike, you might also consider renting a
Mac for a few days and getting it to work over a modem yourself -- then
write up a help page for Mac users to follow. (And don't get one of the
cool new ones; they're selling well, but frankly something a year old
or so is going to be a lot more typical of what's already out there.)

np -- Rosanne Cash at Johnny D's a coupla years ago

Bob