On Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:10:43 +0000 Stevie Simkin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> after all, and I seem to remember Clapton went thru a bit
>of a Williams worshipping phase

During the "Slowhand" phase, to be precise. I'm pretty sure
he included a couple of Don Williams songs on that album.
Those royalties couldn't have hurt Williams  or JJ Cale,
for that matter, because it was a popular record. I should
remember, because it was *huge* while I was in high school.
I do remember that "Cocaine" was one of those mid-tempo
songs that was impossible to dance to -- do you try to slow
dance or do you try is a fast dance thing or do you just
give up and go outside with your buds (pun intended) and
chug the warm beer you've got stashed in the bushes?

I do remember that during interviews at the time
(ca. 1977, I think) Clapton came across as a kind of Don
Williams convert -- could this be considered his "country"
album, I wonder? Was this all covered in the ND article?

I saw Clapton at the Municipal Auditorium in Nashville
during the "Slowhand" tour and Williams opened for him
there. Was this the case for the rest of the tour? I don't
remember much about that show because of all the Miller
ponies consumed on the 2 hr. drive.

William Cocke
Senior Writer
HSC Development