Christopher M Knaus wrote:

> When I was working outside Manchester in 91 and 92 I did notice, both in
> print, on TV and in real life groups of working to middle class folks who
> got way into US country music as well a the whole cowboy and rodeo thing.
> >From what I've been reading on this list for the past few years it sounds
> like this was no passing fad.
>
> I always thought it was kind of an odd hobby to have in the UK - more odd
> due to the cowboy side than the music side. Very few doggies in Cheshire.

LOL, a very odd hobby <g> I don't have much time for Country & Western clubs
in the UK. They aren't good for bands to play in (you only get booked if you
are prepared to play the Blanket On The Ground and other stuff "they know").
Original material is a definite no no. At the end, when the band has to play
the trilogy, and cowboys jump onto the stage with their cap guns banging,
well you sometimes wonder if these people are living in the real world. It is
certainly not something I can relate to.

Following on from what Don said about the class barriers, this is true in the
UK too, but I also think the big problem for the general public is the fact
that cowboys aren't our history, and nor is country music. You get pockets of
people who have been brought up on country music (as I have) and have never
known any different, but the vast majority don't relate to the
history/geography/accents at all. As you say, there are no doggies/corrals in
Cheshire.

Louise
--

If you like rocking country music, check out the Okeh Wranglers web site at:

http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/bluesmoke