Roll, you're a lunatic. But I'll concede the real reason I've declined to
set Uncle Tupelo on a pedestal and worship at their feet is the way they
used to play rock songs. They'd get going, I'd get into the swing of
things, and then they'd pull off one of those annoying stops, and then
starts, and then stops, and then starts. Shit, I like my music to keep on
rolling, and those guys were playing games with my ears. So there you have
it. The rest of my over-intellectualizing pedantry -- advancing the
stunning notion that UT fits into a continuum of music, and doesn't stand
above folks like Lucinda, Dave Alvin, Neil Young, Doug Sahm, where
alternative forms of country music are concerned -- is just pissiness
brought on by having to stay home with the kids on -- yet another -- snow
day. Now I've got to go out and intellectualize with a snow shovel. -- Terry
Smith