Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 9-Mar-99 RE: instrumentally
speaking.. by "Jon Weisberger"@fuse.ne
> > The Sadies have a few on their album (I think the
> > surf influence has a lot to do with it...
>
> Not to mention the bluegrass/country one <g>, which I'm reminded of because
> there was a fairly recent inquiry about the Good Brothers over on bgrass-l.

True.  I offer surf for a reason, as it is an instrumentally-based style
of rock.  Off the top of my head, I can't think of many twang bands who
incorporate surf other than the Sadies (though I haven't heard Jimmy
Wilsey's new band yet).  Does anyone on this list play music in the
style of Dick Dale?  For that matter, can anyone think of a twangy band
influenced by Camper Van Beethoven's trippy instrumentals?

As for technical proficiency, I think David nailed that one on the head.
 Johnny Ramone's musical vocabulary, while small, is not limiting & he
does a lot with a few chords.  Few Ramones songs could be called
instrumentals, though they aren't exactly wordy.

Carl Z.
fave Ramones song: Warthog.