Excerpts from internet.listserv.postcard2: 9-Mar-99 RE: Tweedy
quote/alt.countr.. by "Jon Weisberger"@fuse.ne
> I'd be
> hard-pressed to think of examples of instrumentals in the alt.country field
> that don't fall pretty clearly into the out-of-classic-country stream,
> rather than the, er, UT-and-before-and-after one.

One problem I see with your logic, Jon, is that much of the rock side of
alt.country's influences (especially the punk artists), for whatever
reason, don't include many instrumentals.  Bands influenced by the
Clash, the Sex Pistols, and the Velvet Ungerground tend to sing (or
shout), because vocals are essential to their music.

Having said that, Victor Krummenacher's past two records each feature a
nice instrumental -- the one on his last album owes a bit to Fleetwood
Mac's "Albatross".  The Sadies have a few on their album (I think the
surf influence has a lot to do with it -- Alex, can you think of other
surf-influenced alt.country types?), and Pinetop Seven's been known to
do one or two.  The Waco's did Geronimo on their first record.  But
these are atypical examples.

Waiting to see mention of a Greg Ginn-influenced Western Swing
instrumental band,
Carl Z.