Fair enough, Todd. The most interesting aspect of this thread for me was
seeing the residual (but powerful) respect and support for UT et al that
exists on this list. I'm surprised, I guess, because whenever there's a
sort of reflexive dismissal of the alt.country field -- many of whose bands
were inspired by UT et al -- we're likely to see not a peep of protest or
argument. The suggestion that "skill" is something that's solidly on the
country side of the tracks sometimes goes unchallenged, too. I'd just like
to see more sturdy debate from the rock side of things, rather than
allowing the "country side" have the field. Me, of course, I'm on the
polka side of the tracks! -- Terry Smith

nr(reading): Robert Harris' "Archangel" about the modern-day discovery of
Stalin's secret heir, living like a hermit in the woods near the White
Sea. Great novel. So, was J. Stalin worse than Hitler?