One last post on rock/alt.country instrumentals and then I'll shut up.
The body of work by several Chicago and Louisville-based rock musicians
spawned by punk and post-punk bands such as Squirrel Bait, Bastro and
Bitch Magnet includes a lot of acoustic instrumental work.  This is a
pretty big tent definition of alt.country, but Jim O'Rourke/David
Grubbs/Gastr del Sol do a lot with John Fahey's American acoustic guitar
stylings.  It's at least alt.Americana if not alt.country.  The Pullman
record we brought up last summer (featuring members of Tortoise and
Come) also fits into this style.

Carl Z.