>I'm wondering, was the infamous Mitchell  Froom involved with "Amnesia"?
>That record, from the mid-80s, began my rewarding acquaintance with
>Richard Thompson, and spurred met to backtrack to the best record of the
>A.D. period, "Shoot Out the Lights." <OK, I'll put the <g? in>.

>Nonetheless, if Froom was involved with Rumour and Sign, or the double
>record from a couple years ago, or the followup to Rumour and Sigh, then
>what's the problem? -- Terry Smith

I think that sometimes Froom's production gets in the way of the song,
more annoying and distracting than empathetic to the tune. I usually love
the live versions of songs that really don't grab me from the LP cuts.
"Amnesia" is a good example. I heard RT playing some songs from this
album live in-studio prior to the album coming out. When I got the album
I wasn't as impressed and rarely listen to it.

I don't like Froom's production on the first Maria McKee album either,
and can't get into his work with the Latin Playboys. I have a similar
problem with some of Daniel Lanois' production work but love his solo albums.

I guess I don't buy a Richard Thompson album for the cool percussive
effects or keyboard noises. Amnesia doesn't really have too much of the
heavy handed stuff on it but "Mirror Blue" sure does.

Gregg
Gregg Makepeace
[EMAIL PROTECTED]