A few folks have mentioned Neil Young and his topsy-turvy stylistic swings
as analogous to Tweedy. I'd say an important difference is that Young --
at least not that I can remember -- never burned his bridges. When it
suited him, he swung back to country or rock or whatever. I don't have an
opinion on Tweedy's current record -- though the ELO comparisons make me
want to stay very far away from it -- but he ought to be careful about
generalizing, particularly with such an impossible group to pin down, who
stand around punching the shit out of each other under
the "big umbrella." But, on the other hand, he should say whatever comes
into his head, because he's just yapping, and who gives a shit. If I really
cared, I'd write 16 more paragraphs! -- Terry Smith