Barry Mazor wrote:

> I want to strongly recommend the recent 2-CD release of the earliest Sir
> Douglas Quintet recordings, as part of the general release of  a bunch of
> anthologies from  wonderfully motley artists on Huey P. Meaux's lil Crazy
> Cajun label. (Sir Douglas Quinet: The Crazy Cajun Recordings)...This is an
> important and enjoyable alt.country re-release.

(snip of all-great stuff)

> I think this band doesn't always get its full due when looking at the
> histiry of this music we talk about,   maybe cause Doug Sahm never died
> tragically but chooses to live--apparently quite happily--but with so many
> of these amazing cuts unavailable so long, I'd cerytainly suggest adding
> this one to any P2er collection.
>
> Barry M.

Doug Sahm (the name is Texas German, probably not spelled the "right"
way) was a child radio star at 6 on San Antonio radio, before radio was
relegated to the back seat by TV. He has had so many extraordinary
experiences and participated in so many watershed Americana musical
events (Brit Invasion, 60's exodus of Texas artists to San Francisco,
Progressive Country resurgence in Austin in early 70s, country hits,
rock hits, free-form FM hits) that he is literally a walking
encyclopedia of American musical history. He both loves and appreciates
his roots and loves to pass on what he knows to the people coming up
behind him. He and I became friends in Austin and he was a frequent
visitor to my radio show, and I am indebted to him for many things.

I think one reason he doesn't get as much ink, or credit as he deserves
is that he is the quintessential Texas artist, so peripatetic that he
never stays in one area long enough to become completely huge there, and
because he never quite broke out into superstardom on his own after he
left the Quintet.

He is a force of nature. See him if you get a chance.

--
Joe Gracey
President-For-Life, Jackalope Records