Neal:

> I'll still disagree with you Dave. First off, who gives a rat's
> ass about how many halls of fame Cash is in compared to Dylan. Are
> you really gonna give creedence to an organization (rock) that
> inducts Billy Joel as a member? Pshaw. You know better than to use
> that as an argument.

You shouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater -- the point is
that Cash is idolized by important artists on both the country and
rock sides of the fence, and I don't think as strong an argument
can be made for Dylan.

> Plus, in this here day and age, every singer-songwriter who ever
> picked up an acoustic guitar, every folk-rocker, every punk rocker
> and every politically charged rapper (and any other outspoken
> musician), and every artist who defied their own musical
> definition and followed his or her own muse, quite likely owes a
> debt to the Zim. Where's the obvious examples of modern-day
> repercussions of Cash's work?

In all the above: Cash was an iconoclast star when Dylan was still
wetting himself in Hibbing. Cash blazed the trail, Dylan followed it.
No, many of the types you mention might not cite Cash as an
explicit influence, but then again, a lot of them might not cite Dylan
either.

> And if Cash *found* rock & roll, does that mean
> Elvis didn't? Hmm... guess I've got my musical references all wrong.

I said he *helped* found rock and roll.

Dave

***
Dave Purcell, [EMAIL PROTECTED]