> The first sign of trouble was the proliferation of aging deadheads and
>20-something-"I wasn't
>even alive in the 60s, but all that free love and dope seems cool,
>so I'll borrow my parents Lexus SUV to drive over to the mall, buy
>a $75 designer tied-dye shirt and $120 pair of Calvin Klein
>*weathered* cut-offs, and relive the summer of love while I'm
>on spring break"-hippie-wannabes.
>marie

And, on cue, from today's New York TImes (which always seems to know about
THESE things):

 April 25, 1999
 Feeling Groovy Doesn't Come Cheap

 By ALEX WITCHEL

 I  like a a guy who says "nice to meet you" while he's kissing both your
 cheeks. A guy who inventories his outfit -- "Karan pants and top, Gucci
belt, Prada shoes and overcoat" -- and answers the question "How much
 do you cost?" with a hoot, declaring: "It's a fortune, darling. But after you
 wear good clothing, it's so hard to go back."

                    Derek Khan, 41, knows from
                    good clothing. He is a top
                    music stylist who dresses
                    Lauryn Hill, Sean (Puffy)
                    Combs, Salt 'n' Pepa and
                    Monica. Now, I admit it had to
                    be explained to me that the
                    Monica in question was not she
                    of the Oval Office, but a
                    hip-hop artist Khan finds so
                    fabulous he says, "The minute I
                    saw her, I dropped on the floor
                    and kissed it." He was so
                    excited telling the story, I didn't
                    have the heart to ask what
                    hip-hop was. He already had his hands full with me.

 We were setting off on a styling spree to achieve the latest fashion craze,
 haute hippie. Yes, the very term is an oxymoron. Back in the days when I
was a baby hippie myself, all it took was a pair of bell-bottoms and a peasant
 shirt bought at a "head shop" (rolling papers situated near the cash
register),
 total cost about $30. But these days, the fashion world has determined that
 ponchos and peasant blouses, beads and flowers are all back and better than
enough to feed a commune for a year.

Kelli Delaney, the senior fashion editor at Glamour magazine, says the hippie
 trend "is a backlash to the almost masculine streamlined forms of spring" --
items like messenger bags and straight-leg suits with boxy jackets. "The '60s
hippie clothes are feminine, flowy, sexy," she says. "You feel groovy
wearing them, loose and unstructured. It's a relief to women to be sexy
 again." Not to mention groovy. But looking groovy in the 1990s isn't the old
 "anything goes" mentality of the '60s. Today's hippie look is more refined,
 pardon the expression: better fabrics and expert tailoring, a nod to the past,
  but modern. For this, I needed Khan.

                    Now, for the record, a stylist is not a personal
shopper limited to the
                    inventory of one store. A stylist has access to the
private showrooms and
                    collections of many designers and, as Khan says, "has
an eye and encourages
                    you." Khan's eye, by the way, costs $10,000 a day for
those without
                    recording contracts. When I shamefacedly admit that my
idea of a fashion
                    high is getting into bed with a catalog, he is
surprisingly nice about it. "My
                    clients are just like you," he assures me. "Most
artists are very understated.
                    The glamour is a persona."

                    Our first stab at glamour was Chanel. We would not be
going to Gucci, Khan
                    announced, because "they have too much press already."
Though Tom Ford,
                    Gucci's head designer, is a guiding force behind the
resurgence of the hippie
                    look, sewing feathers onto jeans and beads onto
blouses, Khan was adamant:
                    "The Daily News did a story on how to make the jeans
yourself. When it gets
                    to that point, honey, it's overdone."

                    At Chanel, Khan was greeted warmly by Anne Fahey, the
executive director
                    of fashion public relations. Neither she nor Khan
seemed to grasp the irony
                    of searching for hippie duds in the temple of the
pastel suit, which was
                    standard uniform for all those mothers bemoaning their
daughters'
                    bell-bottoms. ("Why do they have to drag on the
ground?" I remember, was
                    a popular refrain.)

                    Ms. Fahey led us into a suite of offices where Khan
flung open the closet
                    doors and started pulling clothes. "What do you think
of this?" he asked of a
                    knit skirt with thick horizontal stripes that looked
more librarian than hippie,
                    and not haute at all. I shook my head. He immediately
removed it. "I try to
                    see from your eyes," he said. "I don't throw my full
creative vision at you.
                    Then it's not you."

                    He assembled piles of beaded necklaces and bracelets,
belts, scarves and
                    shoes. None of them looked the way I remembered -- but
as Ms. Delaney
                    says: "Designers have to find their own creative way to
craft a trend, or
                    what's the point of being in business? You can just go
to a thrift shop." I sat
                    back and watched Khan, secure in the knowledge that,
like a doctor studying
                    a slide under the microscope, he was seeing things I
couldn't.

                    He gave me my first two pieces -- a gold skirt and a
multicolored polka-dot
                    top. "I don't want it to look like a costume," he said,
but as I put on the
                    clothes, I couldn't imagine it wouldn't scream
Halloween. He shook his head.
                    "I hate that skirt," he breathed, and after fussing
with the blouse, tying the
                    top of it every which way, he shook his head again.
"Try this skirt," he said,
                    handing me a pale pink slip of material. "We'll go for
a hipster look."

                    When he came back inside, I winced. "This gives new
meaning to hipster," I
                    said, showing him how tight it was. He quickly replaced
it with a fuller cut
                    skirt, white with a black and tan swirl ("reminiscent
of batik," he said), and it
                    fit perfectly. He paired it with a black camisole top
and flat silver sandals. He
                    then took a silver belt, studded with mirrors, and tied
it around my forehead.

                    "You're kidding, right?" I asked, and he considered a
minute before nodding.
                    "Too fashion victim," he agreed, but then he hooked it
around my hips. It
                    fell perfectly on the skirt's yoke, giving the faux
batik a touch of glitz. He
                    finished it off with a silver mesh bracelet on my upper
arm and a small
                    metallic bag, and I had to admit the entire look
approximated hippiness while
                    remaining thoroughly contemporary. Total cost? $3,355.
That's haute, all
                    right. Would I actually wear it? Probably. After
visiting a head shop.

                    Our next stop was the Chrome Hearts boutique in a town
house on the Upper
                    East Side. In the car, Khan warned me that this stop
would be for haute
                    hippie, "but with a biker edge." There was leather,
leather everywhere, lots
                    of fringe and five-inch platform shoes. It looked like
Cher's idea of a tough
                    neighborhood. "I would never wear this," I told Khan,
but he was so excited
                    just seeing the clothes, I let him persuade me to try a
few things on.

                    Or try to try them on. When the pair of harlequin suede
pants he was
                    enamored of proved impossible to button, he kneeled
down and with
                    enormous effort got them closed. Awful. A black leather
minidress with a
                    fringe bottom was also a bust. And I fell off a pair of
platform Birkenstocks,
                    twisting my ankle. Khan could see my spirits drop; he
assured me we could
                    leave and go elsewhere.

                    But then he saw the leather raincoat, as he called it,
with a belt, and insisted I
                    put it on. He thought awhile. "Do you have any jeans?"
he asked Lynn Sable,
                    the store's manager, and suddenly, there were jeans
with appliques and jeans
                    without. "I had these jeans!" I cried, seeing a pair
with silver buttons I used
                    to wear in college. Everyone nodded without meeting my
eye, and I suddenly
                    knew my Goodwill bag had been railroaded. The applique
jeans sell for
                    $1,000.

                    The jeans were too big, so an assistant ran out and got
some binder clips, and
                    they clipped the excess, turning them into
straight-legged tight-fitting pants. I
                    put on a cropped chenille top that showed some stomach
("You've got a good
                    midriff," Khan insisted) and he had me climb into a
pair of Dolce &
                    Gabbana four-inch spike heels. With the coat open, a
choker around my
                    neck, a leather bracelet on my wrist and a printed
bandana tied on my head, I
                    suddenly looked vintage Berkeley. Except for the fact
that I was frozen in
                    those shoes ("For glamour," Khan insisted), the outfit
was great.

                    I smiled.

                    "This is my joy!" Khan exclaimed, circling me. It would
have been Ms.
                    Sable's joy, too, if I were a paying customer. The
total cost was $6,880.

                    "What you saw today is how it works," Khan said,
excitedly. "Now that I see
                    your flavor, lots of subconscious things are clicking
in my head. No one likes
                    trying on clothes. But we want to grasp that inner
thing and expose it.
                    Finding what within you shines."

                    I climbed out of the clothes, thoroughly exhausted. I
left Khan, still raring to
                    go, to his own shopping. He needed to find something
for the VH-1 Divas
                    party -- in which he would shine, no doubt.

                    Happily relieved of my own shining duties -- no sit-ins
at Veruka for me -- I
                    went straight home, put an ice pack on my ankle and
sorted through the mail,
                    which included a stack of catalogs, not a platform
Birkenstock among them.

                    It was going to be my kind of night.