[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>       No, I honestly bear no grudges against hippies, per se <g>. Truth
> is, I find their booming interest in bluegrass and acoustic music to be
> kind of interesting in a anthropological way. I assume the gateway from
> "Dark Star" to "Rank Strangers" is all those Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band
> albums?...

I had always assumed it was Old And In The Way, leading to the David
Grisman Quintet and thence to the space-jammier side of acoustic
music.  I don't know much about Dead geneaology so that may be all the
same band as the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band.  David Grisman is the
perfect Deadhead's mandolin (*) player.

Bill Gribble
(*) I actually originally mistyped that as "manoodlin"...  Freudian
slip.