Yeah, it's a hoot to make fun of defenseless hippies, but lots more fun if
a couple of 'em come roaring up beside your pickup truck, and flip you off
when you make an off-hand comment about their hair.

Seriously, though, it's not nice to stereotype folks, or assume consensus
on this notion than any guitar solo over 30 seconds is self-indulgent. As
a former Deadhead, who now wonders what I ever saw in them, I'm not ready
just yet to join in the ridicule. Unless I was completely clueless as a
teen (OK, stop laughing!), there must have been something going with the
Dead and Quicksilver and Canned Heat and the other 60s jam bands that too
many lousy bands are emulating (along with a few good ones) these days.
But personally I'd rather see folks stick with critiquing the music, than
taking on such god-awfully easy targets. Next thing, someone will start
going after white trash. -- Terry Smith