Bill Gribble says:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >     No, I honestly bear no grudges against hippies, per se <g>. Truth
> > is, I find their booming interest in bluegrass and acoustic music to be
> > kind of interesting in a anthropological way. I assume the gateway from
> > "Dark Star" to "Rank Strangers" is all those Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band
> > albums?...
>
> I had always assumed it was Old And In The Way...

That's what I'd point to.  You can tell from the requests; when the new Old
& In The Way albums started coming out, all of a sudden we started getting
asked to do stuff like "Down Where The River Bends" in addition to "Pig In A
Pen" and "Panama Red" <g>.

> ...David Grisman is the
> perfect Deadhead's mandolin (*) player.
>
> Bill Gribble
> (*) I actually originally mistyped that as "manoodlin"...  Freudian
> slip.

Well, the Dawg music doesn't do much (read: anything) for me, but Grisman's
also about as good a Monroe-style mandolin player as you can find.  For
straight-ahead bluegrass, check out his, er, tribute double album, Home Is
Where The Heart Is (Rounder) or Early Dawg (Sugar Hill) or what I think was
his first album for Rounder - the one with "I Ain't Broke (But I'm Badly
Bent)" on it.  Or wait a while and pick up the Red Allen boxed set that
should be out toward the end of the year - that's where Grisman got his
start, and with all the other stuff he's done since, I don't think he's ever
forgotten that.

Jon Weisberger, Kenton County, KY  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://home.fuse.net/jonweisberger