On Sun, Jul 12, 2009 at 11:01:01PM -0400, Daniel L'Hommedieu wrote:

> Greetings, all.
>
> I'm having trouble with a forwarded email setup, and I need to munge an
> inbound recipient address.
>
> Here's what I have set up: f...@bar.edu is forwarded to o...@rab.net.
>
> bar.edu is running GroupWise as its email server, and GroupWise munges the
> recipient address for forwarded emails. When email is sent to f...@bar.edu,
> GroupWise munges the recipient address to be o...@rab.net. GroupWise then
> forwards the email to...@rab.net.
>
> The whole reason I'm forwarding the email is that GroupWise's IMAP server
> is not compatible with OS X's Mail.app IMAP client.
>
> When I check email at o...@rab.net, I see it as To o...@rab.net, NOT To
> f...@bar.edu, as we would expect because that's what the headers say.
>
> This means that if I group-reply, the o...@rab.net address shows up in the
> CC line. Nobody knows about that address, and I don't want them to know
> about it... I am using GroupWise's SMTP server for outbound email, and all
> email shows up as from f...@bar.edu, as it should.
>
> I am running postfix 2.3.3 at the mail server for rab.net, and I want
> postfix to munge the inbound address from o...@rab.net back to f...@bar.edu.
>
> Is that possible?

    main.cf:
        # Pick one:
        #canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/canonical
        #virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/valias
        #virtual_alias_domains = ... set me explicitly ...
        #
        #canonical_maps = cdb:/etc/postfix/canonical
        #virtual_alias_maps = cdb:/etc/postfix/valias
        #virtual_alias_domains = ... set me explicitly ...
        #
        #canonical_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/canonical.cf
        #virtual_alias_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/valias.cf
        #virtual_alias_domains = ... set me explicitly ...

    canonical:
        o...@rab.net    f...@bar.edu

    valias:
        f...@bar.edu    o...@rab.net

The headers will read "f...@bar.edu", but the envelope recipient
for delivery (virtual(5) happens after canonical(5)) will still be
o...@rab.net. There are other ways of doing this, but this one is
perhaps the most natural.

--
        Viktor.