/dev/rob0 a écrit :
> On Monday 27 July 2009 16:57:20 mouss wrote:
>> /dev/rob0 a écrit :
>>> Unfortunately, I have found that many Web programmers don't bother to
>>> read RFC's and find out what characters are allowed in email addresses.
>>> Many sites will not accept a "+" in your username. I think the old
>>> default qmail delimiter, "-", is a better choice for those just now
>>> switching to recipient_delimiter use. Another good one would be ".".
>>>
>>> To name one, I tried to get automobile insurance with GEICO, a large
>>> insurer in the USA. If I had access to my old virtual_alias_maps I
>>> could find many more who rejected the "+".
>> I've seen many sites that refuse '+', but for now, no site that refuses
>> '-'. unfortunately, I am not happy with using '-' because:
>>
>> - many french names have a '-': "jean-pierre", ...
>> - '-' is used in mailing-lists
>
> Understood on both counts, but is this really a problem? As the
> documentation for recipient_delimiter states, the full LHS string is
> tried first. Your jean-pie...@example.fr could still use
> jean-pierre-...@example.fr. I guess the problem occurs only for
> j...@example.fr if he wants to use jean-pie...@example.fr. And there,
> you have a political / administrative issue.

it's not politicial. If I tell users that they can use any
use...@domain, then jean would be allowed to use any jea...@domain,
including "jean-paul". now if jean-paul is hired, then he would get mail
for jean-paul, even if this was used by "jean" before. this is a no go.
it is not reasonable to tell "jean" that there is an exception list,
because I've seen names that I have never saw before.

(actually, I suggest to people like "jean-paul" to use "jpaul" instead.
but some people love their first names...).

> Seems like there is NO perfect choice here ... and all because of
> incompetent Web monkeys. :(

yeah. but it's not only monkey developers.

in a company I worked for before, we outsourced some web dev to an
external company. part of the code was to handle user subscriptions. The
first thing I tested was the email address validation. of course, the
code rejected '+' (but it accepted a lot of addresses that were
obviously invalid ;-) I reported this to my boss, just to hear him
saying "I don't want extensions. I want _real_ addresses". we've had a
long discussion, but it brought nothing. (fortunately, he later needed
me to "improve deliverability"...).