On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:42:03 +0200
Thomas Gelf <tho...@gelf.net> wrote:

> e) we are a really small ISP, but the largest one in our region. Two
>    years ago we decided to be less permissive - and we had to dedicate
>    ressources to teach people what they are doing wrong. The result
> has been, that other providers in our region are now doing the very
> same thing, and if someone complains they take us as a reference
> "They are also doing so, many ISPs do so - fix your system, don't
> blame us". It's all just a matter of time - and as more and more very
> large Mail providers are enforcing correct behaviour it is becoming
> much easier to set up such restrictions.

There is always the "AOL Rule".

I find it useful to ask, "are you having delivery problems to AOL, too?"

They always reply, "oh, yeah, is that related?"

In most cases they fix it.  In the few they don't, well, they still can't
mail AOL either, they just don't understand how to fix their problems.

[quote]
  AOL's mail servers will reject connections from any IP address that
  does not have reverse DNS (a PTR record).  All e-mail servers
  connecting to AOL's mail servers must have valid and meaningful (not
  dynamic-looking) reverse DNS records.  For example:

    * Meaningful RDNS: mail.domain.com
    * Generic RDNS: 1.2.3.4.domain.isp.com
[/quote]

   http://postmaster.info.aol.com/guidelines/standards.html

I don't think it's a sin to reject mail lacking reverse DNS: the
"900 pound gorrilla" of AOL does.  (Not that I agree, by any means,
with all their policies.. but "wow, and you can't send mail to the
one of the largest providers in the world either... looks like YOU
have a problem" helps justify being more strict.

(Hotmail and Gmail have similar rules, I just don't know where they
spell them out.)