Daniel L. Miller:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Daniel L. Miller:

> > I offered a solution that allows you to set up a rule for each
> > typo-ed recipient domain or address, but you dismissed that because
> > you wanted something that requires no configuration. At that point
> > it is no longer a mail server problem but a database problem, so
> > this will have to wait until someone makes a suitable database
> > available.
> >

> As usual, I'm probably misunderstanding, so let me ask it a different
> way.  I'm not looking to build a list of typos & corrections for Postfix
> to automagically deal with idiot users.  I want to provide users with
> more information to better allow them to understand what they did
> wrong.  Example:
>
> 7A44F20CED3  4338053 Mon Dec 28 10:50:59  idiotu...@amfes.com
> (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
> name=fireprotectionbymesa.com type=AAAA: Host not found)
>
> Seeing this in a bounce message (usually) means something to ME - but my
> users will just cross their eyes and think OUR system is broken.
> Instead, I would like a process that would take the above message and
> translate it to something more user-friendly.  Something like:
>
> The message you attempted to send could not be delivered.  The address
> you attempted to send to was "u...@wrongexample.com".  However, the part
> after the @ sign, "wrongexample.com", is not a valid Internet name.
> Verify your spelling is correct.  Otherwise, it is possible there is a
> problem with the computers at "wrongexample.com" and you may attempt to
> send your message again later.

Postfix reports enhanced status codes (5.1.1 means the mailbox does
not exist, etc.) in standardized non-delivery notifications. See RFC
3463 for an overview.

Mail user agents can translate these standardized status codes into
user-friendly text. There are good reasons why these translations
should be done in MUAs (primarily, the recipient of the DSN may be
in a different language zone than the MTA that sends it).