Daniel L. Miller:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Daniel L. Miller:
> >
> >> Wietse Venema wrote:
> >>
> > Postfix reports enhanced status codes (5.1.1 means the mailbox does
> > not exist, etc.) in standardized non-delivery notifications. See RFC
> > 3463 for an overview.
> >
> > Mail user agents can translate these standardized status codes into
> > user-friendly text. There are good reasons why these translations
> > should be done in MUAs (primarily, the recipient of the DSN may be
> > in a different language zone than the MTA that sends it).
> >

> Getting closer.  I may be using the wrong vocabulary - part of my lack
> of understanding of the SMTP protocol.

Enhanced status codes show up in two places:

 1) In SMTP server responses ("550 5.1.1 User unknown"). If the
    SMTP client loses this information there is nothing we can do
    to improve the user's experience.

 2) In delivery status notifications.  As defined in RFC 3462,
    these notifications consist of three parts:

    a) Free text ("This is the mail system at foo.example.com").

    b) Structured text with enhanced status codes etc.

    c) The headers (and perhaps body) of the undelivered message.

RFC 3464 describes the formatting details of 2).