On 12/30/2009 3:19 PM, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> Geert Hendrickx wrote:
>> Then do the recipient domain validity check *before* accepting and
>> queuing the message: put "reject_unknown_recipient_domain" in your
>> smtpd_recipient_restrictions.  This will make Postfix respond with:
>>
>> 450 4.1.2 <x...@y.z>: Recipient address rejected: Domain not found
>>
> You know, it's not fair to give me an answer that not only answers my
> question - but eliminates the need for a complicated new project just
> by proper configuration!  Geez!
>
> Hmm...can I extend this and use reject_unverified_recipient?  Or will
> this cause problems?

It is not recommended to use reject_unverified_recipient for domains you
are not responsible for.
Reason: some people may take offense at your server checking addresses
and put you on a personal blacklist.

Also, the solution above is subject to transient DNS errors.
Make sure your DNS source is rock solid.