After becoming frustrated with our current (non-postfix/dovecot) mailserver's
IMAP performance, I setup postfix+dovecot+mysql on a MacPro running Snow
Leopard (10.6.2) using MacPorts and an unused domain. After getting it working
and playing with it a bit I now have what is likely a very-wet-behind-the-ears
newbie question:

When it's time to swap servers, is there a preferred recipe to move to new
hardware while using the same domain? I googled and checked the FAQ and
archives but didn't have a whole lot of luck.

I think it would be something like:

- configure new postfix/dovecot server to be in correct domain (conf files,
certificates)
- setup users and passwords on new postfix/dovecot server
- use imapsync to pull all email from old server to new postfix/dovecot server
- wait for a Friday night
- swap DNS to point to new postfix/dovecot server
- turn off smtp on the old server
- use imapsync again to pull any new email from old server to new postfix server
- turn off old server

Is this a reasonable approach?

Thanks,
-Terry