Terry Barnum wrote:
> After becoming frustrated with our current (non-postfix/dovecot) mailserver's IMAP performance, I setup postfix+dovecot+mysql on a MacPro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2) using MacPorts and an unused domain. After getting it working and playing with it a bit I now have what is likely a very-wet-behind-the-ears newbie question:
>
> When it's time to swap servers, is there a preferred recipe to move to new hardware while using the same domain? I googled and checked the FAQ and archives but didn't have a whole lot of luck.
>
> I think it would be something like:
>
> - configure new postfix/dovecot server to be in correct domain (conf files, certificates)
> - setup users and passwords on new postfix/dovecot server
> - use imapsync to pull all email from old server to new postfix/dovecot server

I think that there's an important step here that I always use when I'm doing a mail migration. It could really go anywhere above the 'wait for a Friday night' step, really. "Reduce the TTL on the domain to something quite small, ie: 5 minutes." The point of this is that you'll get an idea rather quickly of whether or not it works and, if it doesn't, you'll be able to change it back without a portion of the users experiencing long downtimes because of DNS records pointing to the wrong server.

--

Adrian Overbury