On Feb 24, 2010, at 5:08 PM, Adrian Overbury wrote:

> Terry Barnum wrote:
> >
> > - configure new postfix/dovecot server to be in correct domain (conf files,
> > certificates)
> > - setup users and passwords on new postfix/dovecot server
> > - use imapsync to pull all email from old server to new postfix/dovecot
> > server
>
> I think that there's an important step here that I always use when I'm doing
> a mail migration.  It could really go anywhere above the 'wait for a Friday
> night' step, really.  "Reduce the TTL on the domain to something quite small,
> ie: 5 minutes."  The point of this is that you'll get an idea rather quickly
> of whether or not it works and, if it doesn't, you'll be able to change it
> back without a portion of the users experiencing long downtimes because of
> DNS records pointing to the wrong server.

Thank you Adrian. It was suggested to me that swapping IP addresses of the old
and new servers might be a safe way to accomplish this too just in case DNS
caching still pointed to the wrong server for some users.

So an updated recipe could be:

- configure new postfix/dovecot server to be in correct domain (conf files,
certificates)
- setup users and passwords on new postfix/dovecot server
- use imapsync to pull all email from old server to new postfix/dovecot server
- wait for a Friday night
- swap IP addresses of old server and new postfix/dovecot server
if all goes well {
   - use imapsync again to pull any new email from old server to new postfix
server
   - turn off old server
}
else {