On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, LuKreme wrote:

On 25-Feb-2010, at 05:35, Larry Stone wrote:

example.com.   60   IN   MX   10   mail.example.com.

where the 60 is the time-to-live in seconds and the 10 is the priority.

Er, that's not what my MX looks like at all in bind9.

                        MX      10 mail.example.com.

all the TTLs are set in the SOA line up at the top of the file.

This is off-topic for this list but many of the fields in a Resource Record are optional and if not stated, use defaults including values specified earlier in the zone file. In your example, you have not specified the NAME (example.com.) which defaults from the last NAME specified on a resource record, the CLASS (which I believe always defaults to IN), and the TTL, which defaults to the default value you, as you have said, have specified earlier.

My example is "complete" and does not rely on any defaults. It will always work regardless of what default values have been set earlier in the zone file.

<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-7.html>

Scroll to 7.4 and that's very similar to what my zone file looks like. What every zone file I've ever dealt with looks like, in fact (and that many thousands over the years)

I don't know that site but it appears their examples rely on defaults without telling you that's what they're doing. As a result, some of the resource records are dependent on their ordering. You cannot reorder the records in "workstations" section of their example without risk of breaking things as each MX record defaults the NAME from the previous A record.

I've always relied on the O'Reilly "DNS and Bind" book. It has not steered me wrong yet.

-- Larry Stone
   lston...@stonejongleux.com