Hello again.

I got postscreen working with content filtering and passing good mail
through.  I'm able to receive and send mail, and headers all look like
it seems they should. It's good to feel some progress even if just first
steps.

I learned that we really should have both a primary and a backup MX
assigned, and that they should be different IPs.

I have the spare IP, I assigned it to the backup, and set up the DNS for
it all.

As far as I can tell, there's no technical problem with having my one
server listen at both IP addresses.  May not be the best idea for the
long term, and we may need to set up a server on a second physical host
somewhere else.  I'll get to that later.

So now I have two IP addresses, each with its own hostname, and I want
to get the one server set up.  From what I'm reading you have to be
careful to get the right "response", banner and/or greeting, from the
right server.

It looks like I first get "teaser" banners set up for postscreen for
each of the MXs in master.cf with

 XX.XX.XX.1:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
  -o postscreen_greet_banner="mail1.DOMAIN.COM ESMTP Postfix"
  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025
  -o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit=10
  -o smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust

 XX.XX.XX.2:smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
  -o postscreen_greet_banner="mail2.DOMAIN.COM ESMTP Postfix"
  -o smtpd_proxy_filter=127.0.0.1:10025
  -o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit=10
  -o smtpd_proxy_options=speed_adjust

 smtpd      pass  -       -       n       -       -       smtpd
 dnsblog    unix  -       -       n       -       0       dnsblog
 tlsproxy   unix  -       -       n       -       0       tlsproxy

What I don't get is how I then get the right banner responses through
the next-step content filter (example for spampd based on
http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html#config) to the "after
filter" SMTP server,

 127.0.0.1:10026 inet n  -       n       -        -      smtpd
        -o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=127.0.0.0/8
        -o smtpd_client_restrictions=
        -o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
        -o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
        -o smtpd_data_restrictions=
        -o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
        -o receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks

I' don't think the postscreen_greet_banner gets "passed through", does
it?

I can sure put a smtpd banner option statement in there, but I believe I
need 2 banners, one for each MX server IP, primary and backup.

Is the right way here to launch TWO postscreen instances, TWO spampd
proxy instances, and TWO "after filter" instances, so that I have TWO
separate chains, each one with a greeting or banner of its own?

Jeremy Alsten