On 8/30/2013 2:27 PM, Grant wrote:
>>> I grep'ed the mail logs for dnsblog and got a huge number of these:
>>>
>>> [postfix/postscreen] warning: psc_dnsbl_request: connect to
>>> private/dnsblog service: No such file or directory
>>
>> Looks as if you've found the problem.
>>
>> Make sure your master.cf has an entry like:
>>
>> dnsblog  unix  -       -       n       -       0       dnsblog
>
> Thank you.  I added it and restarted postfix and started to get errors
> like these:

Postfix always add missing master.cf entries automatically as part
of the upgrade procedure.  You can break this by restoring an old
file after the upgrade.

> [postfix/dnsblog] warning: dnsblog_query: lookup error for DNS query
> MASKED.list.dnswl.org: Host or domain name not found. Name service
> error for name=MASKED.list.dnswl.org type=A: Host not found, try again
>
> I did some searching and I think this was due to my use of Google's
> DNS resolvers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  I added my host's DNS resolver
> first in the list and the errors seem to have stopped.  Is that a good
> config?

Yes, good.  Many public DNS servers are denied access by RBL
providers due to excessive query load.

Using your own DNS is the proper solution.

> I also read a recommendation to set up a caching nameserver like
> unbound on the same machine as postfix.  Is that the right thing to
> do?

A local caching nameserver is highly recommended.  If you already
have one that's working OK, there's no pressing need to replace it.

> Is there a way to verify that everything is working properly?

Watch the logs for errors or unexpected behavior.

  -- Noel Jones