On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
> On 10/10/2014 2:21 PM, Robert Lopez wrote:
>> Problem: Valid email addresses being rejected.
>> Problem appears to be intermittent; difficult to tell most rejections
>> are legitimate.
>> Not found in a hash named virtualaliases.db
>>  virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtualaliases
>> When the problem has been reported the addresses are found in the file.
>>
>> Questions:
>> Could the hash file be too large?
>> Is there a configuration error causing this problem?
>

> So these errors happen while the file is being rebuilt, right?
>
> Please see:
> http://www.postfix.org/DATABASE_README.html#safe_db
>

>   -- Noel Jones

The question "So these errors happen while the file is being rebuilt,
right?" is a very good question but it is difficult for me to answer
with certainty.

One of our email gateways collects data and builds the input file
every hour per a cronjob:
root@mg06:/var/local/vaproc/bin# crontab -l | grep bld_aliases
35 * * * * /var/local/vaproc/bin/bld_aliases.sh
After that cronjob has run each gateway has a new copy of the
virtualaliases file and each executes a postmap and a reload.
I collected the log lines from all the gateways and counted the number
of events in each minute of every hour of all the days.
In that process I did not separate the legitimate from the problem
failures as I could not conceive of a way to do it.
A graph of the data (I am not sure the attachment will make it to the
discussion list) shows two high time areas and the 35th minute is late
in one and not in the other peak at all.
Therefore I cannot have a good answer.

I looked at the "Please see".  Thanks!  I will try this out.

--
Robert Lopez
Unix Systems Administrator