On 17 Nov 2015, at 1:48, yahoogro...@lazygranch.xyz wrote:

FWIW, I keep an xyz tld for test purposes. Point dot com to production and dot xyz for test. Yes I know there are ways to do this with a subdomain, but dot xyz is really cheap.

While a subdomain (or ad hoc .local with your DNS authoritative, if you keep your tests local) is entirely free.

I never investigated if there production users of xyz.

There are absolutely positively multiple production users of .xyz domains. All evidence I have of this is blatant unequivocal spam and SMTP behaviors that correlate perfectly to conscious, intentional spamming.

That's not to say that it is impossible to use a .xyz domain for non-evil purposes but the fact that such domains have been made very cheap makes it more likely that spammers will find them useful as disposable domains. That already seems to be happening. It is unfortunate that some TLDs correlate so strongly to spam, but the fact that they do makes it reasonable to treat their use as an indication of spam.