On 17 Nov 2015, at 10:19, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 10:08:47AM -0500, Bill Cole wrote:

I never investigated if there production users of xyz.

There are absolutely positively multiple production users of .xyz domains. All evidence I have of this is blatant unequivocal spam and SMTP behaviors
that correlate perfectly to conscious, intentional spamming.

Well, Google's new holding company is supposed to be abc.xyz, but I
don't know when or whether they'll be using that for email.

The TLD is very new, and spammers are often "early adopters" of
new TLDs.  But there are also some legitimate users.  One small
example:

https://frida.xyz/

There'll most likely be more legitimate domains using ".xyz" in
the not too distant future.

Yes, and the proliferation of gTLDs (and ccTLDs pimped out as gTLDs like .pw) will provide a huge experiment in natural selection over the next few years. I have no idea what ham/spam ratio is needed to let heavily abused TLDs escape widespread absolute blocking, but I suppose we may see that threshold measured. Based on the history and current deliverability issues of biz/info/cc/tv domains, I suspect it will take many years of substantial valuable ham flow before a TLD that gets abused early on is worth trying to use for general email purposes.