>>> I could be wrong, but I expect that many of the folks here are NOT
>>> engineers.
>> I guess it depends on one's definition of, "Engineer".
>> It can cover a lot of ground.

> Well... for purposes of discussion, let's restrict "Engineer" to mean
> someone who:

All of the following, or just a few?

Many *VERY* large corporations don't require some or all of these to put,
"Engineer" on your business card.

This is not the case all over the planet, but in many places, like the
USA, it most certainly is. One has to have a global perspective on such
issues.

> - has a degree in an engineering or engineering related technical field
> - has, at one time or another, held a position that included the word
> "Engineer" in his/her title
> - actually done some engineering along the way (be it R&D or development)
> - with some allowance for special cases who don't meet all of the above
> (example: Ray Kurzweil has an MIT degree, in MUSIC - I'd certainly
> consider him an engineer, and then some)
> - on the other hand, I wouldn't consider someone with a business degree,
> even with an MIS concentration, to be an Engineer - even though that's a
> fairly common background for CIOs and MIS Directors (and maybe sys
> admins?), you wouldn't hire them to design system software or network gear

It's a lot looser a definition in many places.

For the purposes of this list and similar, I'd define "Engineer" to also
include someone reasonably competent enough to make changes to the Postfix
config files and not break stuff irreparably. It would for all intents and
purposes be equivalent to SysAdmin. Or BOFH.

Someone who, for example, can telnet to port 25 and get the mail delivered.

> - let's NOT include train drivers :-)

Let's not.

But this is grossly off-topic for the list, so I won't have anything
further to say on the issue. Feel free to declare victory and move on.

Aloha mai Nai`a.
--
" So this is how Liberty dies ...          http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
" To Thunderous Applause.