On 6/29/16 3:13 PM, Michael J Wise wrote:

On 6/29/16 2:30 PM, Michael J Wise wrote:

I will read up on it.  Thank you for the link.

Not everyone, I think, who visits this list is an engineer.
In that you are mistaken.

Almost everyone who subscribes to this mailing-list is an engineer.
Please re-read that line.

This mailing list is for people who need to configure or make changes to
the configuration of a Mail Transfer Agent called Postfix.
Some people here actually suggest software changes, since the author of
the system is present on the list.

Pretty much everyone here is an engineer.
I could be wrong, but I expect that many of the folks here are NOT
engineers.
I guess it depends on one's definition of, "Engineer".
It can cover a lot of ground.

Well... for purposes of discussion, let's restrict "Engineer" to mean someone who:
- has a degree in an engineering or engineering related technical field
- has, at one time or another, held a position that included the word "Engineer" in his/her title
- actually done some engineering along the way (be it R&D or development)
- with some allowance for special cases who don't meet all of the above (example: Ray Kurzweil has an MIT degree, in MUSIC - I'd certainly consider him an engineer, and then some) - on the other hand, I wouldn't consider someone with a business degree, even with an MIS concentration, to be an Engineer - even though that's a fairly common background for CIOs and MIS Directors (and maybe sys admins?), you wouldn't hire them to design system software or network gear
- let's NOT include train drivers :-)

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra