On 8/29/17 8:12 AM, Ralph Seichter wrote:
On 29.08.2017 13:42, @lbutlr wrote:

There are very good reasons for footers on many lists, and DKIM should
be smart enough to figure this out.
I disagree about "very good reasons for footers on many lists". Meta
information belongs into the message headers, not the body. DKIM-signed
messages are letters, not postcards, and no non-totalitarian postal
service would dare open your letter and scribble junk on the contents.
Stick to the envelope, Mr. Postman. ;-)

As for part two: If someone messes with cryptographically signed content
en route, it is not the signer's fault at all. Alice's responsibility
ended when she hit the send button. Calling for Bob, the recipient of
the messed up message, to figure out why parts were broken by the
transporting third party does not make any sense either. He who messes
is at fault.

I am not saying DKIM is perfect, but it is easy for mailing list admins
to not break signatures -- just leave existing data alone.

-Ralph

P.S.: We're drifting far away from Postfix here.

I suggest you then talk the the legislators in the jurisdictions that MANDATE that many mailing list have clearly visible unsubscribe instructions. I suppose their alternative would be to try to mandate that all email software processes the defined meta-data to present the instructions to the user. (I have seen legal opinions that the List- headers do not meet the requirements of some email regulations)

I suppose also it would be considered inappropriate to put said sealed envelope on a community builtin board, or arrive at a newspaper with a stack of sealed envelopes and tell them you have an editorial reply that you want them to add to the paper for that day.

Sending signed content to a system that is known to need to adjust it is unsocial. Try to send a letter wrapped in clear plastic (with the stamp inside), if they notice I bet the wrapping will be removed or the letter returned.

Remember, many mailing list are different than just a simple mail delivery system. Yes, I would expect that a simple MTA, whose job it is to just deliver the mail as directed, to not need to get 'into' the message.

--
Richard Damon