On 29.08.2017 15:43, Norton Allen wrote:

> The problem with sticking all the list meta-information in the headers
> is that most users have no idea how to access email headers or parse
> them for the salient information.

I see it as a MUA's task to present meta information in a palatable way,
but of course there is no help against the very laziest users, who are a
bane to mailing lists in their own right. But I digress. From the looks
of it, you're using Thunderbird, and given the existing headers

you will be familiar with TB's "Reply List" feature. It would be nice if
vanilla Thunderbird presented other List-* headers in a useful fashion.
seems to have done just that in the past, no idea if there are plugins
available for current TB versions. Thunderbird is still my go-to MUA
because of multi-identity support and the Enigmail extension, but things
could be improved even more.

Not everybody is comfortable examining raw message headers of course,
but to screw up message subjects or bodies just because some MUAs have
bad mailing list support just won't do. I believe that if Joe Random
User wants to use mailing lists, he can be bothered to use suitable
software for this purpose. "I will use software X because I always do,
useless for this purpose or not, and post HTML because I like things
pretty, useless or not" do not strike me as positions we need to
support. ;-)

-Ralph