On 30.08.2017 03:24, Richard Damon wrote:

> I suggest you then talk the the legislators in the jurisdictions that
> MANDATE that many mailing list have clearly visible {munged, see P.S.}
> instructions.

Electronic mailing lists with a global reach which folks like myself
have been using since the 1980s are governed by RFCs and the rules set
by their respective administrators. Admins decide to include those
instructions, or they don't. Should legislators in country A believe
they can pass laws that list admins in country B and C will abide by,
they better think again. If you are referring to the United States'
CAN-SPAM act, please keep in mind that it is aimed at unsolicited email,
not lists with a double-opt-in, and more importantly that for most of
the globe Lex Americana is just so much marsh gas.

> Sending signed content to a system that is known to need to adjust it
> is unsocial.

A public mailing list does not need to adjust what I post. People can
comment based on my unmodified original text, and they may disagree or
dislike my message, but there is no need for the messenger software to
manipulate what I wrote in the first place.

Also, cryptographic signatures gain more importance the further we move
into the land of post-truth and alternative facts. If Alice signs her
messages, she takes a step to ensure that what she wrote cannot later
be modified or taken out of context without breaking the signature.

-Ralph

P.S.: I had to replace your original "unsubscribe" with "munged" because
I received an automated bounce message containing the following text:

  Your submission to the postfix-users mailing list was blocked because
  [...] the submission contains words like "subscribe", "unsubscribe",
  "change address", or "help", in the subject or in the first few lines.

That was a rather unexpected outcome. :-)